The 2015 ASA Fails to Gather Quorum
In the beginning of every year AUBG students have the opportunity to directly impact the work of the Student Government at the All Student Assembly. For a second consecutive year they decided not to do so.
The ASA is an annual forum where the SG presents their members, goals and proposed budget for the academic year in front of the student body. The latter can then raise motions to propose changes to the SG’s plans. If a motion passes, the changes are put into effect. For the assembly to have decision power, however, 20 percent of the student body need to be present.
By 8 p.m. this Monday, the official start of the event, 85 students had entered the ABF Theater. The required quorum for the assembly to have decision power in this academic year was 185. Within the next few minutes the number of attendees increased to 127, still 58 short. At 8:15 p.m. Borislava Kaneva, Chair of the SG, announced that due to lack of quorum no changes to the proposed plan will be possible.
Students dissatisfied with the turnout asked whether the required quorum could be decreased to perhaps 10 percent. Others wondered if an extraordinary ASA could take place later. That, according to Kaneva, is possible with enough support from the student body.
“That’s why it’s important for the students to come to the ASA, so that they make sure the students actually get what they want or what they believe they deserve,” she later added. “It’s a way to have power over SG again.”
Despite the lack of quorum, the SG still presented their goals for the year. They include:
- Bring more internship opportunities to AUBG students
- Improve the dining services
- Increase the transparency and communication between the faculty and students
- Assist the Admissions Office in the recruitment of new students
- Improvement and continuous update of the SG website
- Keep the good connections with the residence life and cooperate with them closely
- Reduce bureaucracy and paperwork for the clubs and students
- Popularize American extracurricular activities
- Clubs – $4,395
- SG Parties – $1,500
- SG Projects – $750
- AUBG Olympics – $2,400
- More Honors – $3,700
- Broadway Performance Club – $4,500
- Blagoevgrad Model United Nations – $1,100
- European Society – $1,100
- TEDxAUBG – $1,700
- StartUp@Blagoevgrad – $1,850
The total SG budget for the year is $25,995. Additional $3,500 have been allocated for capital goods.
*This list includes only major buckets. For a full breakdown of the budget, contact the Student Government at firstname.lastname@example.org.